- Avatar is vastly more realistic than Titan AE. James Cameron has a strong emphasis on scientific accuracy and realism including on when he made Avatar. You should check out this Realistic Designs webpage on Atomic Rockets to get started and I strongly recommend the book James Cameron's Avatar: An Activist Survival Guide. Titan AE is handwavium saturation and I am not joking! Blast I cannot suspend my disbelief for tons of handwavium wishful thinking! Even Star Wars which is fantasy like Harry Potter and Lord Of The Rings is not this unrealistic or soaked in handwavium as Titan AE is! Titan AE on the other hand despite being pure handwavium IS science fiction like Back To The Future and Star Trek.
- Avatar does not have a spaceship total our planet for no good reason. The premise of Titan AE had a spaceship demolish Earth for no good reason whatsoever that did not make any shred of sense whatsoever storywise. In Avatar, the Earth was dying due to human carelessness and greedy human prospectors came to Pandora trying to steal unobtainium. Avatar was also a great cautionary tale like some other good works of sci-fi such as The Day After Tomorrow and Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home are about pernicious trends that we are participating in.
- Anything that Titan AE can do, Avatar can do better. I do have to grudgingly admit that the messages of Titan AE themselves such as hope, second chances, finding a home, belonging, etc are good. However, Avatar also has those same types of messages and can even get them across far better than Titan AE can. Avatar has other great messages that Titan AE lacks such as caring for the environment, anti-militarism, and anti-capitalism which I adamantly push for.
- Carl Sagan would have loved Avatar and would have hated Titan AE. Carl Sagan was born on Friday, November 9, 1934 and died on Friday, December 20, 1996. Titan AE was released on Friday, June 16, 2000 while Avatar was released on Friday, December 18, 2009. If Carl Sagan were alive today and had seen both Titan AE and Avatar, he probably would have been as disgusted with Titan AE as I am and would have championed Avatar like I do.
- Jake Sully is a far better protagonist than Cale Tucker. Cale was a quite rude and obnoxious character throughout the course of Titan AE. Jake Sully was more caring about the people in his life than Cale was. Cale is just like the RDA businessman Parker Selfridge. Cale and Parker are exactly the same character since they are both arrogant and rude. At least Parker was an antagonist while sadly Cale was a protagonist.
- Most Titan AE fans use logical fallacies when Titan AE is criticized. From my encounters with Titan AE fans on the Internet, although there have been a few mature Titan AE fans who gave mature defenses to my criticisms of the film, sadly most Titan AE fans resort to childish logical fallacies. The most popular logical fallacy among Titan AE fans is the straw man and after that is the ad hominem. Avatar is a rational movie and therefore would not have tons of fallacies in its defense.
- Titan AE deserved to bomb out in the box office. I am mighty glad that Titan AE was a FLOP that will never ever stop flopping around! Avatar in spite of inflated ticket pricing over the years, was a runaway success and I am also pleased that Avatar is a HIT!
Sunday, March 25, 2012
Why Avatar is BETTER than Titan AE
In this post, I will talk about why my favorite movie of all time James Cameron's Avatar is astronomically better than the toxic Titan AE that I loathe with a purple passion.